University Trips

If you are planning on traveling with students on a University Trip or authorizing students to travel on a University Trip please be aware of and abide by the following procedures no later than four weeks prior to the commencement of the program abroad

  • Familiarize yourself with the Faculty with Students International Travel Policy.
  • Inform the Study Abroad Office ( of the following important information:
    • The name(s) of the Faculty or Staff members accompanying the students abroad (or authorizing the travel of any unaccompanied students)
    • If applicable the College or School authorizing the Trip
    • Purpose of the Trip
    • Location: City(ies), Country(ies)
    • Start and end dates of the Trip
    • Names, UM IDs (C-numbers), and UM email addresses of the students participating on the Trip
  • When the University Trip has been set up in the registration system, you will receive an email from the Study Abroad Office notifying you that your students now have access to the registration documents and requirements.
  • Inform students that they are required to complete the travel registration process with the study abroad office via the Travel Registration section of the Study Abroad Website.
    • Once students have initiated the process they will have access to a list of the required information sheets and forms through their My StudyAbroad page.
    • These forms must be downloaded, completed, and electronically submitted by the students.
    • Students must have completed the requirements at least two weeks prior to the Trip’s departure. Please ensure that you have reported the trip in adequate time so that the students are able to complete the requirements in a timely fashion.
  • Be aware of and follow all University of Miami International Travel Registration Policies regarding student travel abroad.
    • Inform students who are U.S. citizens of the requirement that they must register their trip individually with the U.S. State Department at, and remind non-U.S. citizens to contact the embassy or consulate of their country of citizenship for procedures to register their trip abroad if such services are available.
    • Ensure that students on your program have registered all legs of their travel with International SOS and are compliant with the University’s Student International Travel Policy.
    • Faculty and staff accompanying the students should also register with International SOS.
  • Risk Management must be notified of all travel to foreign countries on the U.S. Department of State’s travel warning list or any trips to countries with United States embargoes and sanctions four weeks prior to departure.  A current listing of countries with travel warnings may be obtained by following the link:
  • Student Health
    • Direct students to the travel medicine information on the  Student Health Service website.
    • If you are providing any written materials or advice about travel medicine, contact the Student Health Center at prior to sharing this information.
  • Print out the following brochure Chartis Travel Guard and take two copies of the card on page 2 along with you on the Trip.